There are two sections in this support article:
- Obtaining a Google Maps API Key
- Enabling Google Maps/ API Access for First Arriving
Obtaining a Google Maps API Key
1. Sign up for a Google Cloud Account
- Go to https://cloud.google.com/free/ and click Try it free to create your Google Cloud account.
- Sign in with your Google account. If you do not have a Google Account, create one by clicking “Create Account.”
- Select your country and choose if you would like to receive email updates from Google. Review and accept the terms, then click Agree and Continue.
2. Create a Payment Profile
In order to use Google Maps services, you need to set up a payment profile for
- Enter your contact and billing information and add a payment method then click Start my free trial.
- Your Google Cloud Project is now being created, this might take a moment.
- Once the project is created, confirm the welcome pop-up message.
3. Enable Google Maps APIs
Now you will enable the Google Maps APIs in your project.
- 1. Open the main menu ☰ and go to API & Services > Dashboard.
- Click Enable APIs and Services.
- Find and enable the following APIs for your project:
Street View Static API
Maps Static API
Optional: Rename your Google Cloud project to easier identify it in the future.
Open the main menu, go to IAM & admin > Settings, then change the project
name to “Your Department Name – First Arriving Dashboard.”
4. Upgrade your Google Cloud Account
Every new Google Cloud Platform account starts with a free trial period of 365
days or $300 in credit, whichever applies first. To avoid any service interruptions
we suggest to upgrade your account right away. You will keep your free GCP
credit and receive $200 free Google Maps credit each month.
To learn more about free credits and Google Cloud Platform billing, please
review the FAQ: https://cloud.google.com/free/docs/frequently-asked-question
- In the header, click Upgrade.
- Confirm by clicking Upgrade.
- Your account is now upgraded. You will only be charged for any GCP or
- Google Maps usage beyond the free monthly credit.
5. Submit Credentials to First Arriving
- In the main menu, open APIs & Services > Credentials.
- Click Create credentials and choose API key.
- Your API key is displayed. Select and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C), or use the copy icon.
- Fill out this Google Form - enter your info and paste your API key (Ctrl+V).
- Submit the form to First Arriving. We will update your project to use your custom credentials and let you know once it is set up.
- You can use the Google Cloud platform console at any time to monitor your usage.
To learn more about Google Maps pricing and the $200 dollar free-tier, go to https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/
Enable Google Maps/API Access for First Arriving
For various purposes, including tracking Google Maps usage, First Arriving may request access to your Google Maps/Google Cloud Account. This may also include access to create or adjust API codes - short snippets that allow us to tie various Google services to your website, digital dashboard or other project.
To enable this access:
- Go to your Google Maps API Dashboard at https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/dashboard/
- Click "IAM & Admin" under the navigation menu (the hamburger icon at the top left)
- Click "add" at the top of the page
- Add email@example.com in the new member bar
- Under 'Select role' select Project then owner and save (note you'll see your own project name after "Add members to ...")
- Once you have completed these steps, please email firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.